Tip of the Week: Firearm Safety at Home
6 Important Tips to increase firearm safety
Many people in the U.S. own firearms. Whether owned as collectors’ items, used for hunting, target shooting or home defense, all firearms are potentially dangerous if handled carelessly. Since firearms related incidents could occur in the home, it is especially important to pay attention to firearm storage around children, families, and friends. While there are no hard and fast rules, the following 6 tips should help serve as a general practice to keep everyone safe around firearms.
1. Take a firearm safety class with other members of your household to learn basic firearm use and safety. This is very important if you are thinking of obtaining a Concealed Carry License (CCL).
2. Handle and maintain firearms in a safe and proper manner at all times. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when handling. Never point a firearm at a person when demonstrating its use and capabilities.
3. Know if the firearm is loaded. Always check the action to see if the chamber or cylinder is loaded. This adds an entirely different level of safety required when handling a loaded firearm.
4. Never leave a loaded firearm unattended where a child or another inexperienced person might be able to reach it. Store guns unloaded out of sight and out of reach. Consider a trigger locking mechanism for your firearms if you have small children in your home.
5. Be especially careful while cleaning firearms. Far too many “unloaded” firearms have resulted in injury! Remember # 2 and #3 above.
6. Help prevent firearms theft by storing firearms in a secure area while away from home. Never leave firearms visibly displayed where they can be seen through a window from outside. Don’t make it easy for thieves to steal your firearms.
Firearm safety is up to you. Make no mistake about it! If you follow these few tips you will increase firearms safety in your home.
Chief Executive Officer
Phone: (360) 981-2703
PI License #3555
Executive Vice President
Phone: (360) 981-3397
PI License #4180
We at Rampart Group are committed to your security. Call 1-800 421-0614 or contact us today with your security or investigative needs.