Tip of the Week – Keep your Credit, Debit and ATM Cards Safe
10 Tips for Bank and Credit Card Security
Credit, debit, and ATM cards are convenient and allow us access to financial resources without the risk of carrying large sums of money. But, these cards can also present their own source of risk through loss, fraud and theft.
Here are 10 common sense tips to keeping your credit, debit and ATM cards safe:
1. Don’t disclose your account number over the phone unless you initiate the call.
2. Guard your account information. Never leave it out in the open or write it on an envelope.
3. Keep a record of your account numbers, expiration dates, and the telephone numbers of each card issuer so you can report a loss quickly.
4. Draw a line through blank spaces on charge or debit slips above the total so the amount can’t be changed and never sign a blank charge or debit slip.
5. Tear up copies and save your receipts to check against your monthly statements.
6. Cut up or shred old cards before you throw them away.
7. Open your monthly statements promptly and compare them to your receipts. Report mistakes or discrepancies as soon as possible.
8. Carry only the cards you’ll need.
9. Don’t carry your PIN in your wallet, purse, or pocket — or write it on your ATM or debit card. Commit it to memory.
10. Monitor your account activity, especially if you bank online. Compare the current balance and transactions on your statement to those you’ve recorded. Report any discrepancies to your card issuer immediately.
If you lose a card or detect suspicious account activity, report it immediately. Quick action on your part can help limit your losses.
For additional information, see Consumer Action’s Questions and Answers about Credit Card Fraud – http://www.consumer-action.org/downloads/english/Chase_CC_Fraud_Leaders.pdf.
Chief Executive Officer
Phone: (360) 981-2703
PI License #3555
Executive Vice President
Phone: (360) 981-3397
PI License #4180
We at Rampart Group are committed to your security. Call 1-800 421-0614 or contact us today with your security or investigative needs.